Life’s not easy for a poodle in the Big Apple. Just ask Bondi – she’s been to the ER three times now for tripping out on the sweet cheeba. While her owner claims that it’s “accidental consumption”, one begins to wonder after the third event on just how accidental it truly is.
It’s not just Bondi though – she’s part of a pack of stoned dogs roaming the streets of New York. You can see them wandering aimlessly, tongues lolling out, eyes glazed over in a blissful stupor. Some are accompanied by their human companions, while others roam free, forming impromptu packs and howling at the moon.
But where do these pups get their fix, you ask?
It’s no secret that New York is a haven for the green stuff, and with the recent legalization of recreational marijuana, it’s become even easier to come by. The city’s parks and playgrounds have become a hotspot for recreational use, and it’s not uncommon to see a joint being passed around between strangers while their dogs play together.
Some stoners simply discard their roaches. And this is where Bondi comes in – finding her fix like a fiend.
But while it may seem harmless, there are concerns about the long-term effects of secondhand smoke on our furry friends. According to the ASPCA, dogs who are regularly exposed to marijuana smoke can suffer from lethargy, confusion, and even respiratory problems. But, they don’t really have any studies to back that one up.
Most of the long term claims on pets are simply conjecture – there aren’t any real scientific papers on the subject matter. Irrespective, for pet owners who aren’t in the loop about cannabis – this shit petrifies them!
So, while Bondi may think she’s living her best life, her owner might want to keep a closer eye on her – or invest in some doggy edibles. In fact, later on we’ll talk a bit about what you can do if you’ve got a stoned dog on your hands.
As for the stoned dogs of New York, they’re just trying to find their place in a world that’s constantly changing.
Who knows what the future holds for them – perhaps they’ll start a revolution, or maybe they’ll just lay around in the sun all day. Either way, they’re living their best lives – and isn’t that all that matters?
But this isn’t a story about stoner dogs in New York, it’s a closer look at how the actions of some can affect others and why being a conscious stoner is the best way forward.
Although I may have taken some liberties when it comes to the story of Bondi – specifically in regards to the poodle’s motivation for getting high, the truth is that Bondi is a real dog.
I read about it in a Fox News article that talked about the prevalence of cannabis in New York and accidental animal exposure.
So you don’t have to read Fox, here’s a summary of the article;
Bondi, an 8-month-old toy poodle, was rushed to the vet after his owner, Colleen Briggs, noticed he was stumbling and could barely stand. The vet quickly made a diagnosis: Bondi had ingested marijuana.
In places like New York City, where the first legal recreational pot dispensary opened last year, users can smoke marijuana in the open, leading to more dogs ingesting discarded joints and edibles. This has prompted alarm among veterinarians and pet owners, who blame the steep rise in poisonings on smokers oblivious to the harm they can do by littering.
Marijuana poisonings, which are almost never fatal, were once rare among pets, even when medical dispensaries started opening, according to Dr. Amy Attas, a New York City veterinarian.
Until recently, many occurred at home when pets got into their owners’ stashes. However, in the first three months of the year, Attas has already seen six cases, which is about the same number she’s treated over the past three decades. Multiply that by the number of vets working in New York City, she said, and the result underscores the widening problem.
Twenty-one states have legalized the recreational use of cannabis, and in large urban areas like New York, there’s no escaping the whiff of pot in public. In many cases, owners are unaware that their dogs have eaten a leftover joint until they begin showing signs of toxicity. Even then, owners might not understand what is ailing their pets.
Although dogs rarely die from marijuana poisoning, treatment can be expensive, sometimes requiring a trip to the animal emergency room, a stomach pump and intravenous fluids. Bondi has been poisoned three times, the first time last fall, said his owner, Briggs.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said cases of marijuana poisoning in pets are rising nationwide. Last year, there was an 11% increase from the roughly 6,200 cases reported in 2021, and over the past five years, there has been a 300% increase. “To me, it is unbelievable how prevalent this now is,” said Attas.
Pet owners need to be vigilant when walking their dogs in areas where marijuana use is legal, especially in large cities like New York where littering is common.
They should keep their pets on shorter leashes and pay close attention to what their pets are sniffing and eating. Owners should also be aware of the signs of marijuana poisoning, which can include lethargy, vomiting, tremors, and loss of coordination.
If they suspect their pet has ingested marijuana, they should seek immediate veterinary care.
This highlights the importance of being aware of the dangers that marijuana poses to pets and the need for responsible use and disposal of marijuana products. It is also a reminder to pet owners to be mindful of their pets’ safety when walking them in areas where marijuana use is legal.
Obviously, the Fox spin on things paints cannabis in a more negative light. For some reason, conservatives simply can’t get on board with the whole “cannabis” thing. Nonetheless, it is a representation of a particular demographic and it’s important for stoners to act accordingly to ensure that we can all enjoy our social space together.
When it comes to smoking weed in public, there are a few unwritten rules that all stoners should follow. These are commonly known as “stoner street etiquette”. While these rules may not be written down anywhere, they are important to ensure that everyone can enjoy their weed without causing any problems for others.
One of the most important rules of stoner street etiquette is to not toss roaches. Roaches are the leftover ends of joints or blunts that are often discarded after they have been smoked. Not only is this bad for the environment, but it can also be dangerous for dogs who may eat them and become sick. Additionally, roaches can be unsightly and dirty, and can pose a risk to children who may pick them up and accidentally smoke them. Therefore, it’s essential to dispose of roaches properly by either putting them in a trash can or ashtray.
Another essential rule of stoner street etiquette is to be aware of your surroundings. This means not smoking in areas where it may be inappropriate or where it could disturb others. For example, it’s generally not a good idea to smoke near playgrounds, schools, or other places where children may be present. Additionally, be respectful of those around you who may not want to be exposed to secondhand smoke. It’s always a good idea to ask those around you if they mind before lighting up.
Finally, it’s important to be discreet when smoking in public. While it’s legal to smoke in some areas, there are still many places where it’s not allowed. Be aware of local laws and regulations, and don’t smoke in places where it’s prohibited. Additionally, it’s important to keep your smoking tools and accessories hidden, so as not to draw unwanted attention to yourself.
Stoner street etiquette is an important set of rules that all stoners should follow.
By being aware of your surroundings, disposing of roaches properly, and being discreet, you can help ensure that everyone can enjoy their weed without causing any problems for others.
Maybe, just be a bit mindful when you smoke and you may not affect others. (Full Story)